So if you know me, I love pizza and I love suya; especially chicken suya. I was having a conversation with a Facebook friend Aishatu and we were talking about food and she told me how she and her brother would order pizza; then sprinkle Yaji powder on it. Immediately, I had a bright idea “Chicken suya pizza” Two of my favorite things…EPIC
I played with the idea for a little while because I did not want to make any pizza crust, but I wanted to be original. It meant I would have to start messing with some flour and yeast and as I have said before, I do not like the stress of flour. After I looked online, I decided to make the dough by myself; using some active yeast.
I was doing too much amebo on Nollywood and my pizza almost burnt kaii!
The pizza was gone within 20minutes. My ajebutters ate the pizza like their life depended on it. Even when I am the one who cooks it, I am always last to get to these kinds of foods:( They were already pinching and cutting slices and exclaiming “mommy this is so good!” I honestly would love for a Nigerian and even none Nigerian restaurants to make this version of Suya pizza. It was just too good. I was able to satisfy everyone and their cravings
The wonderful thing about this pizza is the crust. Although, I do like deep dish pizzas, the thin crust wins for me every time. I know some #fitfam people will instantly say “why pizza? is it not fattening?” Well, I will say this; it is not the pizza that is to blame, it is those who eat the pizza excessively, it is those that do not exercise. How about self control and portion control and using healthier ingredients? Abeg make pizza oh!
- 2½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp yeast(use 1¾tsp baking powder if you choose)
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- ½tsp of nutmeg
- 1tsp sugar
- 2 tsps of live oil to brush dough
- ¾ cups of warm water
- One small red bell pepper
- 4plum tomatoes
- one small habanero or ata-rodo(optional)
- one garlic clove
- one small onion
- one cooking spoon of olive oil
- salt to taste
- one diced or sliced green pepper(optional)
- one small sized onion(diced or sliced)
- 2 plum tomatoes(sliced)
- 1tbsp yaji seasoning
- about 1½ cup of cheese
- 2boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1½ tbsps of yaji powder
- 1tsp of dry grinded chili pepper(optional)
- 1-3tbsps of peanut oil(you may use any cooking oil available to you)
- salt to season
- 1tbsp butter
- to form the dough mix all the dry ingredients and mix in the water and the oil. if dough ends up too hard, add some water sparingly to soften. if dough ends up too soft add some sprinkles of flour to smoothen. Brush the dough with a tsp of oil and cover in a bowl in a slightly warm place for about an hour.
- blend tomatoes, onion, garlic clove, red bell pepper, and ata-rodo.
- Heat one cooking spoon of olive oil in a sauce pan, pour the blended ingredients into the pot of oil. Season and fry on medium to low heat until the oil floats to the top; then set aside(drain out the oil to prevent an oily pizza)
- Wash and pat the chicken dry. Season with salt and set aside for a few minutes. Mix all the ingredients for the chicken with the oil(except 1tbsp of oil and 1tbsp of butter). Let it marinate for 20minutes to an hour. Heat the tbsp. of oil and tbsp of butter in a pan and sear the sides of the chicken until they
- are slightly golden brown; then finish off in the oven at 350 degrees. If you do not have an oven, you can use your stove stop and sear on medium heat until cooked through. (Let the cooked chicken rest for about 10minutes to keep it from loosing it's juices when cut; then chop or cut it into bite sized pieces).
- Toss the chopped chicken with the pizza toppings and set aside.
- After an hour, punch down the dough which must have doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Knead the dough lightly on a slightly floured work top for about five minutes and flatten with a rolling pin and your hands. Using a brush, brush the remaining 1tsp of olive oil onto the sides of the now flattened pizza dough. With a ladel spread the cooked sauce onto the pizza dough and spread the toppings on to the pizza. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 8-15minutes or until cooked through.
If you do not have any sauce, some sliced tomatoes would do