What is Bulgur wheat? I would say Bulgur is a grain made from whole wheat that has been pre-cooked and dried. It cooks fast and taste really good. On it’s looks, it looks like couscous. I remember the craze with couscous. Well, I did not join in. I cannot stand couscous. I can tolerate quinoa, but only when I have nothing else. Bulgur is Paleo, vegetarian and healthy diet compliant so if you plan on going on a diet, it is your to go grain that can replace rice.
There are several types of bulgur grain. What I have in my bowl is the really coarse type. It works for both stir fries and all kinds of recipes. It also doubles in sizes when cooked which is awesome 🙂
In making this bulgur swallow, It was quite easy. Bulgur is one of the easiest grains I have ever cooked and I had mine with ogbono(Apon)soup
I make a lot out of bulgur wheat; which I hope to share with you guys pretty soon. It is so much to do and sometimes overwhelming, so I usually take a couple of steps back so I don’t exhaust myself
- 60-100mls of bulgur
- 2tbsps of garri, wheat or blended oat(optional for holding the bulgur together)
- about a cup of water
- Grind bulgur into fine pieces in a dry mill
- bring some water to a boil. I would say about a cup
- pour in the bulgur wheat and stir continuously
- add in the garri or oats if the swallow is too soft
- mould into balls and serve.
- I had mine with some ogbono soup. Yum!