If you have ever had warm okra soup with cold eba on a week day before school, you will enjoy not only the recipe, but the sweet nostalgia of this recipe.
It’s no news that my son has some food allergies, but he has also developed a love for okra. Well the rad_economist on Instagram also schooled us on some benefits of okra, so I don’t feel too bad for having a 100th recipe for okra soup. Since being on #lin with 9jafoodie, she has influenced my cooking habits. So cooking this dish was a total breeze.
Asandia my friend helped me name the soup. She sent me a message saying “that soup actually had an Efik name. This one is not Otong, it’s Efere Etighi a.ka. white okra soup.” According to her, there are too kinds; the second kind is known as Iwuk Efere which has it’s okra cut into chunks. Isn’t it just amazing how many dishes one can make with a single ingredient?
If you had a chef competition with Okra as it’s main ingredient, I will so slay hahahaha! Shuo! Master chef okra gan!
I had mine with cauliflower and garri swallow mix.
Abeg see recipe
- 4 cups okra(chopped)
- 3 fresh yellow chiles or habaneros(crushed)
- 3lbs cleaned seafood(crabs, shrimp)
- 1½ lb meat
- a small handful uziza leves(sliced)
- a small handful curry leaves(basil or scent leaves could be substituted)
- 1 cups of whole or chopped mushrooms(optional)
- ¼ cup crayfish powder
- 1tbsp dry chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- In a pot season the meat with the dry pepper, salt, bouillon and half of the crayfish powder. Pour water to the level of the meat and cook until tender. Pour in the seafood except the shrimp and let it cook for 3 minutes. Add the okra and the remaining ingredients. Stir and cook uncovered for about 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink and serve with any swallow or boiled or roasted semi ripe plantains