The atmosphere is turning cooler, the leaves are falling and the air feels crisp against my skin. This tells me it is time for warmer and hearty recipes. What more screams fall than some warm banana bread? Ahhh the mere thought of this bread gives me so much comfort
I am a lover of everything banana and I must have tried a 100 recipes for banana bread until I finally did another test and got this one right. Listen, I do not bake anything, so whenever I get an opportunity to do it, I always make sure it must make sense.
I was supposed to make some vegetarian pies this weekend, but I had some over ripened bananas and I just had to do some banana loaf. I told myself “If this one no work, I no do this thing again oh!” Okay this recipe worked, but I kind of slightly burnt it because I was watching a Nollywood movie( a Nigerian movie) and forgot to line the pan. If you follow me on Facebook, you would know that I love Nollywood movies (even if I sabi yab them well well) 🙂 Sorry Nse, I love what you do oh! (she dun tell me to stop yabbing Nollywood hehehehe
Anyway, it is funny how I have come to love banana, seeing that as a child it always gave me a sour stomach. Growing up, it was tough eating bananas, tangerine and coconut; even if they seem to be my favorites now. Combining them in one recipe was absolutely delicious.
The good thing about this recipe is that it tastes even better the next day. Yes oh, I left a few slices in the fridge after my ajebutters had theirs and I went to have a cup of tea the next morning and I was greeted with a more nutty, and rich taste. All I had to do was toast me a slice, butter it up and chow it down. If not for fit fam and my ajebutters wanting more, I for fit chop the thing eh.
Fyio(for your information only), this loaf is also good with eggs, you have no idea! 🙂
This loaf is also a kid pleaser. My ajebutter 1 kept pinching and pinching it. I wish I had a picture. Even when it was time to wash and braid her hair, I promised her a slice and she was ecstatic and did not cry through me braiding her hair. Yes that is how good it was. Even my pictures do not do it justice
You don’t have to be a lover of thre cooler weather to love this recipe. It can be made and eaten at anytime of the year. I promise you would love it; every bite! And the smell too? Heavenly!
Tip, I make a mean rum banana loaf which I might just share with you guys hehehehe
- 1¼ cup of sifted flour (oat, white wheat or regular plain flour works)
- ⅔ cup of unsweetened desiccated coconut(optional)(and a small handful for the topping)
- 1 cup dark or light brown sugar (honey, maple or golden syrup works)(add more or reduce it according to taste)
- ¼ cup any type of nuts or oats(optional)
- ¼ cup raisins or black currant
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- half of an orange. It's juice and 1 tsp of it's zest
- 3 over ripe bananas
- pre heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Mash the bananas and set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients and set aside.
- mix the dry ingredients(except the sugar and butter) in a bowl and set aside.
- in a bowl, mix the butter and the sugar until creamy; then using a spatula, mix it with the wet ingredients and the banana
- Fold the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Pour the mix into a loaf pan that has been oiled and dusted with flour, gently spread the remaining desiccated coconut onto the dough and bake for 45-50 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick into it and it comes out clean.
- You could also line the pan with a parchment paper to prevent burning(optional; depending on the pan you are baking with)
Very interesting piece there. I can’t wait to try this recipe and BTW my first two attempts at baking banana bread were horrendous but you just gave me a reason to try again. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Larah. I had not had a pleasant experience either. But this one worked like magic. I hope it works for you
Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in reality used to
be a leisure account it. Glance complex to far delivered agreeable from you!
By the way, how could we be in contact?
Thank you. My contact is on my website
Lovely recipe Nma! I tried it with a few tweaks and substitutes and was pleasantly surprised. Will def be making it again. It tasted even better the next day as you mentioned.
Oh and by the way I poured some leftover mix in a waffle maker and it was yum…would have gone down a treat with some ice cream but didn’t have any.
Ri you are simply absolutely amazing! Thank you