Okay the heat these days is unimaginable and I find myself soaking garri(Garium Sulphide). My mother keeps screaming “Nma it will ruin your eye sight!” But in all honesty, I cannot stop the garri soaking. Then with the addition of the fried sardines as a side, I have not been able to help myself.
I know you will ask “sardines?” and my answer is “Yes oh, Sardines!” Not the canned sardines, but the fresh ones; head on and everything. If you do not like Sardines, feel free to try other kinds of fish. The Indian Mackerel is a great fish to use for this recipe too.
The fun thing about this recipe is that, it is also #fitfam friendly as you can also cook the fish in a 350 degree oven or roast on a grill. It is that easy
I made the use of corn meal, for an extra crispy effect and I have to say, I love! You may also make it gluten free by using only corn meal. Hence the versatility. What is there not to love?!
Here is a recipe for you
- 7-8 fresh sardines or Indian mackerel (cleaned and gutted)
- 1 tbsp dry grinded pepper, Cameroon pepper or chili flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper(optional)
- ⅓cup of all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup of corn meal(optional)
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
- wash and pat fish dry
- season with salt and pepper and set aside
- Mix flour, corn meal, salt and garlic powder; then set aside
- Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, shake off the excess flour; then let it rest for about 10minutes while the oil heats up. Fry until golden brown and crispy. You may cook in a 350 degree oven or grill