There are chicken stews and there are CHICKEN stews. I can comfortably say this smoked chicken stew is the Matriarch of all stews. It seems like just chicken, but do not be deceived because this stew packs a punch.
I like smoked chicken as I can use it for anything from chopping it for fried rice, to making pepper soup. Unlike smoked turkey, it is not at all salty. I actually soak it in warm water and use it to drink garri. I have also done a smoked chicken suya and man was it good! I cannot even tell you how delicious it is.
Just like I always say, whatever food I blog comes from my table to yours. This stew was actually our dinner with rice and I had mine with Ofada rice. (A locally home grown Nigerian brand of rice…yay for Nigerian agriculture!)
and some twice baked yam
You will thank yourself after using this recipe. My Ajebutters cleaned their plates. They like the smokey difference the stew provided. I also made this stew with fried beef here and we chop am tire no be small. I am hoping that by the time I wake up to make some battered yam fries, I will have some stew left over to eat it with 🙂
Let us get down to the recipe
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 1 smoked chicken
- 6 smoked beef pieces
- 4 cooking spoons palm, coconut or vegetable oil(peanut oil works great with chicken as well)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 ata-rodo or habanero peppers
- 2 medium onions(slice one thinly)
- 1tsp thyme
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 tsp crayfish powder
- 1 bouillon
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- Meat stock about ½ a cup(depending on how soupy or thick you want your stew)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil. (add more if you want)
- Shred chicken and soak in warm water for about 10minutes to soften; then drain
- blend the tomatoes, habanero peppers, bell pepper and one onion. Pour through a fine mesh sieve and set aside (you may boil on medium heat to reduce the water content)
- Heat up oil, add the onion,thyme and bay leaves. Fry the onion until translucent,
- add the cray fish and fry for about a minute then add the tomato paste and fry for about 10 minutes. Add the tomato mix and fry until dark and until the oil has floated to the top. Add the chicken and beef at this point along with the meat stock. Reduce the heat and let the stew cook until the oil has once again floated to the top. Check for seasonings, add the bouillon or salt(or both). cook for another 2 minutes and set aside. You could stir in some chopped basil or scent leaves if you want to.