I had to share this recipe before the cold weather finally goes away. Even so, there is Spring time with the cool winds and cool evenings; which will be so perfect for this soup
I got to try this recipe last fall. I had bought some cat fish and seafood for some fisher man soup, but I didn’t have the energy to deal as I had just made some zobo. Blogging is not easy oh! Anyway, I decided to make some pepper soup as per an easy recipe. The fun thing about this recipe is that the use of the pepper soup spices is totally optional, so anyone can actually make this
You could use any medley of seafood and fish for this dish. Although, I find that croacker is better when fried( *tongue out hehehehe 🙂 ) You could also use it for this soup.
Had a lot on my plate lately and this soup is just one of those easy to go soups. It’s hearty and comforting and quite spicy enough to wake up my appetite; I wish I could eat this soup on a daily basis sha 🙂
Oya cook this! yum!
- 1 cat fish(cleaned and gutted)
- 12 medium to jumbo scallops
- 1 cup shrimp with head on
- 3-4 tbsps. Nigerian peppersoup spice(optional)
- ½ cup whole dry chili peppers
- 1 habanero pepper(optional for more heat)
- ½ a small onion(minced or blended)
- ½ inch fresh ginger
- One red belle pepper(optional)
- 1 tbsp. chopped scent leaves or basil or any curry leaf
- 1 tsp crayfish powder(optional)
- spring onion or shallots(optional for garnishing)
- ½tsp oil for garnishing(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Place the cat fish and other seafood in a bowl. Blend the onions and peppers. Mix with the pepper soup spice, pour over the seafood and let it marinate for about 1-12 hours.
- Pour the marinated fish into a soup pot; making sure to set the shrimp and scallops aside. Pour some water into the pot just so the water is right above the fish; Check for seasonings and add some salt or bouillon or both. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce the heat. Let the contents cook for about 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked; then add the seafood and cook just until the shrimp is pink. Stir in the crayfish if using and scent leaves and serve. You may garnish with scallops, oil and more peppers