I have been on a chicken frenzy lately. May be it is because it is all my ajebutters love to eat. They love chicken so much that even goat meat is chicken to them. Anytime I use another kind of meat in cooking, my ajebutter1 always asks “Mommy did you say this is chicken?” Well well, I always reply with a “yes. it is seasoned differently hence the taste.” (I know, I know. LOL!) Hey! I have to cook other meats sometimes. But this week is chicken week and I just cannot get enough. Give me more chicken!
For this very recipe to work, a really good marinade must be part of it. While developing this marinade, I had spicy, soft and smokey in my head. I wanted to roast my chicken to the point where it would melt in your mouth. Be mindful that the recipe for this chicken makes it spicy. If you do not like spicy foods, you may reduce the pepper and just follow the other seasoning requirements to get the full effect. I promise, I have a non spicy chicken recipe in the works that you would love, but first let us get to this:
- 2 pounds of chicken quarters(it was about 3 large quarters)
- 1tbsp of soy sauce
- 1tbsp of sesame seed oil(divided)(any oil works)
- salt to taste
- black pepper
- 1tsp of thyme
- 1tsp of curry powder
- 1tsp of smoked or regular paprika
- ½ tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 fingers of cayenne pepper or chili(one green and one red)
- 1 habanero pepper or ata rodo
- one small bulb of onion
- 2-3cloves of garlic
- 1inche of ginger
- season chicken with salt, black pepper, curry powder, thyme, paprika, knorr, half of the oil and salt...(please make sure you do not over season)
- chop your onions, peppers, garlic and ginger into a food processor. Pour in the soy sauce and the other half of the oil; then bring to a rough blend and set aside
- Pour the blend on to the chicken(saving some for later) and using your hands, work the spices into the chicken(use a kitchen glove if possible). Wash your hands with soap and warm water after wards and let the chicken marinate for 24hours in the refrigerator.
- Once it is time to cook, heat up a non stick griddle or skillet and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. When the skillet is hot, sear the chicken on both sides until brown with a crust; then place in a roasting pan or a tray and cook. Brush on some more of the left over spices on to the chicken in between cooking in the oven and before the chicken is fully cooked. Roast the chicken until it is crusty on the outside and really moist on the inside. I had to watch the chicken like a hawk 🙂 The juices will run clear and you will know that the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with a sweet side. I had mine with some cheesy corn bread and macaroni and cheese
Ever since you posted the pic on SYTYCC, I have been drooling! Now I will just print it out, first eat the pictures to calm my hunger and then head to the supermarket to shop for the ingredients. Great job fellow foodie!
hahaha Zee! You always make me smile. Please do try it and leave us a feed back
This chicken looks gooood! I love spicy! Definitely one to try soon! 🙂
Thank you Sister IFY! I know you will love it
I am a chicken lover too can’t wait to try it this weekend
Yay!!!! Thank you Adeyinka
Great job… I will try it. Learning a lot from you. Thank you
Chioma daalu soor nne
drooling here saved for d future wld sure try it out. thanks Nma
Lovely color and pictures. Well done 🙂
Thank you ChiO I really appreciate