When it comes to chicken wings I have done it all kinds of ways from soaking in buttermilk and frying; to grilling with all kinds of herbs and spices. For this post I used some Uziza seeds. Uziza is also known as Piper guineese.
The use of Uziza for this dish was genius and it went well with some fresh salad and some mashed potatoes. There is something about Uziza that I really love. It gives you a smoky and spicy taste that you just cannot get enough of.
It is barbecue season and I promise you would love this whatever your location. Simply look for any African store and ask for Uziza seeds/ If you do not wish to stress it, you may use black pepper as they are close in their biology and taste.
Apart from it’s unique taste, Uziza seeds do have some medicinal benefits as well. It helps in reliving flatulence, menstrual pain in women and low sperm count in men. Uziza seeds help with colds, coughs and bronchitis. The list is endless. I usually just grind or blend it and pour it into some pepper soup. Amazing!
One thing I like about this recipe is the honey which went so well with the Uziza seeds. I really hope you enjoy it
Here is a recipe for you to wow your weekend
- 10 medium sized wings or any chicken parts you wish
- ½-1 tbsp of cracked uziza seeds or black pepper(according to your tolerance)
- 1 grated garlic clove
- ⅛tsp grated ginger
- 1tsp soy sauce or you may use any bouillon
- 1tsp honey
- ½tbsp olive or vegetable oil(melted butter tastes a lot better)
- salt to taste
- A slice of a lemon and it's juice for garnishing
- wash and pat meat dry with a paper towel. Mix it with all the seasonings and toss. Marinate for 1-12 hours
- Grill on a barbecue grill
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a non stick pan sear the chicken on both sides to get a crust; then transfer into an oven safe dish and into the oven cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the juices run clear; making sure to flip once. Once chicken is done, Leave it to rest for about 10minutes then serve with any side. Squeeze on some lemon juice if you want to
This chicken may also be cooked on the grill