If there is anything we love, it’s shrimp and in all sizes. The first time I made shrimp in a grilled form with chili flakes and barbecue sauce, I almost lost my foodie mind; but in a good way sha. I came up with this recipe during my ajebutter’s birthday. He had wanted some shrimp fried rice, but I decided to make it this style instead. I thought he wouldn’t eat it because of the scales because he kept looking at the head and scales attached until I said “it’s good, bite through it if you can’t peel the skin.” He did and before I knew it, he ate everything. It was so good, my Ajebutter1 went to have one more.
For this recipe, you could substitute the cilantro with other mild tasting herbs. All ingredients must be added at a moderate level. You could even try any curry leaf of your choice.
I’m a lover of seafood, and I had to really learn how to cook them. I have not gotten to lobster yet though. For shrimp, once it’s pink(bright pink), it shows that it’s done. For sea foods like scallops and octopus they could become seriously rubbery when over cooked….it takes experienced hands to deal with sea food.
I notice that some Nigerians say “prawns” and “shrimp”. I swear I cannot explain the difference, but all join abi
My back hurts from three hours of cooking. I can’t say too much, but here is the recipe for you
- 13 Large shrimp (scale on with head)
- A big handful of cilantro (basil, parsley or scent leaves should work)
- 3 garlic cloves(peeled)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper(use a pinch of uziza seeds if you want)
- 1 habanero pepper(ata-rodo) or 1tsp chili flakes
- 1-2 tbsps. of olive or melted coconut oil or butter
- salt to taste
- wash and pat shrimp dry. Put some skewers through them from the head through the tail; then set aside.(soak skewers for a few hours before use. It helps to prevent the skewers from burning)
- In a blender or food processor whizz the remaining ingredients until smooth; then pour it over the shrimp; then using your hand work the ingredients into the shrimp and set aside to marinade for about 1-12hours(I put it into a plate and covered it for about 12hours). Save a little marinade for grilling.
- Fire up your grill or oven to 350degrees and grill for about 5-10minutes. Depending on how large the shrimp is. Brush on some of the remaining marinade on the shrimp while it's cooking (If using an oven; place the shrimp skewers onto an ungreased cookie sheet before grilling)
- You can serve yours with some fresh or dry crushed chili(or dry crushed pepper) mixed with salt/bouillon and a little hot oil mix
This looks good…Worth giving a try!
Thank you PCKweks 🙂