It rained cats and dogs and it was yucky outside. Gracie face was hanging out with me, but she had gone to sleep, so I decided to do something with the chicken livers that I had defrosted. I had wanted to do a sauce, but I was too tired and too “lazy” to even worry so I went ahead and boiled some rice and did a quick stir fry.
As a woman with children, sometimes I just want something quick, a one pot and no mess dish to make the day easier. I had some reservations about the kids liking this recipe, but they cleaned their plates. I was besides myself with laughter. I laughed so hard and asked “you guys liked it?” and they replied “Yummy”
I remember growing up in Nigeria, liver was a huge part of our diet. In fact we ate the insides of most animals we butchered. We made stews and pepper soups out of livers; little did I know that livers were very healthy. Not only are they lean, they are full of vitamins and essential minerals. While I was even pregnant with my ajebutters, I ate a lot of liver to help with my iron level. So making this dish was not really strange nor was it new as I already knew how to use livers
As an amateur photographer, the pictures do not even do this dish justice.
Not only is this dish a very easy comfort food for tired days, it is a one pot deliciousness
- 2 cups of cooked regular long grain rice
- ½lb of chicken livers
- 1 cup mixed vegetables
- onion(a small half)(chopped or sliced)
- 1-2 habanero pepper or ata-rodo(crushed)
- 2 garlic cloves(grated)
- ½ inch of ginger(grated)
- ½tsp curry
- ½tsp thyme
- 3 tbsps. oil(you may not use all)
- ½ a cup of water
- bouillon or 3tbsps soy sauce
- salt to taste
- Wash and pat the liver dry; then season with salt
- Heat up a tbsp. of oil in a wok. Pour in the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onion is almost translucent and the garlic and ginger is fragrant. Pour in the vegetables and sauté for about two minutes then pour into a bowl or plate. If there is still oil left in the pan, add a little bit more from the left over 2tbsps and pour in the livers. Stir fry until well browned; then pour in about ½ a cup of water or meat stock and cook until the water evaporates and the liver is cooked though. Pour in the soy sauce or bouillion along with the rice and vegetables. Stir to combine and season with the curry, thyme, a little salt(if needed) and the habanero; then set aside
Chidinma Okpara the official cook to Nutri C party is a highly resourceful chef and as her blog is named lazy is a tag for the ease she does things..She’s my favorite chef anyday apart from madam (Chidinma Okpara you know I no fit misyarn lol)
hahahaha my darling Kunle. Thank you
Nma you are really doing a great here, keep it up. Stumbled upon ur post in IG sha. Please what’s chicken liver? Am a Nigerian o lol bike explain that part. Thanks
Hi Francis. Thank you. Chicken liver is liver of a chicken. I hope this helps
O.m.g hello Mms .
My name is Lady-d I live in Las Vegas I made dirty rice for dinner lastnite it was soo yummy instead of chicken liver I used lean ground beef,chopped onions,red & green chopped bell peppers,whole kernel can corn ,2tsp.sugar, garlic powder,dried sprinkle red hot peppers,Cajun seasoning, & brown rice which is healthier than long grain white rice.
And a side of toasted buttered wheat French bread was a added touch with my Cajun dirty rice receipt….
Sounds yummy 🙂
Lady-D Porter is my correct spelling ..
And sorry M
N.a. for spelling your name wrong
It’s okay 🙂